5.08.2009

plaque leads to poop

In a very educational trip to the dentist the other day, I learned something that I have not been able to get off of my mind.

While getting my bi-annual mouth mutilation, I noticed a sign on the wall that mentioned gum disease so I asked the hygenist to explain it to me. She told me that gum disease occurs when you have severe plaque build-up and that over time the plaque can wear the gums down and cause disease (of course her version was a little more detailed than the one I just wrote, but that's neither here nor there). She went on to say that plaque is a living organism and just like a human, each particle of plaque lives, breathes, eats, poops, and dies.

"Wait just a minute," i'm motioning for her to take that evil metal pick out of my mouth, "You mean to tell me that there are little plaques running around in my mouth, pooping and dying??????" "Sure are", she said.

Sure are? That's all she had to say after dropping a bomb like that on me. Now i'm seriously considering having all of my teeth removed. No wonder my breath stinks in the morning - i've got little critters in my mouth partying it up all night and then come morning light, they're pooping and croaking. I sure hope this isn't how she's explaining it to all the little kids!

GROSS!

No comments: