9.14.2009

a tribute to mom & campbell's soup

I had a revelation last Friday. As I was laying on the couch, drenched in sweat from a fever triggered by a "viral upper-respiratory infection" and basking in all those other fun symptoms a virus can bring, all that I could think was "I want to be 10 again! I want my mom to be here, smothering me with medicine and blankets and hands on the forehead checking for signs of fever." I began to regret all those days growing up that I was rude to my mom while she hovered over my sick body and nursed me back to health. In those days, when I got sick, I could BE sick. No obligations, no wondering who's going to take care of the baby, clean the dishes, take the dog out, make dinner, bla bla bla - NOTHING. Just me, the couch, a tv, and my ever attentive nurse, MOM! I would have given almost anything to travel back and hear the clanking of the spoon against a bowl of Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup, as she walked down the stairs into the den where I always rested. She brought me blankets, magazines, movies, cleaned puke off my clothes, dissolved my medicine tablets when I was too much of a sissy to swallow them whole, and made sure to have my favorite snacks on hand. Now I'm a mom and am quickly realizing that even when my body feels like every last ounce of energy has been tackled, I still have to get up off the couch and carry on. I'm sure that's exactly how she felt, though she never showed it.

So many things we take for granted as children and even adults and, often, never truly appreciate them until they're gone. So here's to Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup... thanks Mom!

No comments: