9.17.2009

blogging for boredom

these last few days at work have been so slow. and when i say slow i mean maaaaybe 5 phone calls in one day, zero closings, zero projects for me to immerse myself in, and the sound of the air conditioner buzzing in my ear all day long. slow! so to kill some time, here i am, blogging. blogging about who knows what. stuff. instead of spring cleaning, i am fall cleaning... my mind. (i'm excited, so I sit up proper-like in my chair and brush my hair back)

speaking of hair, i got a new cut. the evening before our flight took off to dc (2 weeks ago) i dragged john to my fabulous hairstylist, trayce, back home for some much needed hair therapy. john was looking like a shaggy mess, my split ends had split ends and to let you know how bad it was, trayce winced when i pulled my ponytail down and said "ooh, this is pre-tty bad court". she's never said that to me - not in the 13 years since i started going to her. 13 years is quite an accomplishment, p.s.! that's longer than most marriages last. maybe i should send her a "thanks for keeping the hair on my head all these years" card. so anyway, she's asking me what i want to do with my moptop and i say "i don't care". so she looks to john and john says, "how does your hair look short". fabulous! so short i got. 3 inches shorter to be exact - right up to my chin-line and i love it. i felt new and improved. it's amazing how a haircut, even just a trim, can do that for you. then john hopped in the chair for his first "professional" hair cut. he goes to sportclips and thinks he's getting a good cut. ha! i wanted him to see what a real stylist could do. and do, she did. it was his best cut yet. we left there feeling like a million bucks and ready for our adventure.

but before our adventure, we did a little birthday celebration - for me! at that point, my birthday was still 2 weeks away but we celebrated early - we're rebels like that. so we joined my family at a local wing-joint, leo's (legendary raw fries!), and grubbed. then we ventured back to my parent's house for singing, cake, presents, and the funniest damn joke i've ever heard in my life. my uncle, big gavin, who is notorious for his ability to draw a laugh, tells this "potato chip" joke and the whole room was dying from laughter. just crying. i don't even know how he told it with a straight face. he's been telling this joke for 25 years. 25 years! let's be real, people. a joke has to be pretty good to hang around for 25 years. so if you know big gavin, the next time you see him, you have to make him tell it.

4 am the next morning came pretty quickly, and john and i hit the road towards the charlotte airport, leaving sweet baby and the doggie with my parents. at 9am we landed in baltimore to see the beautiful face of my bff, her hubby, and their little boy. we had 3 full days to enjoy their company, see their new home situated nicely in a suburb of dc, sight-see, party, and exhaust ourselves. we walked, what felt like, the entire length of the city, saw some amazing sites, went on an eventful all-day (should have been 2 hour) tubing trip with them and another couple (that day could be a whole blog in itself), ate some scrumptious sushi and to-die-for fried mashed potato and blue cheese balls, drank beer, and just chilled. some time away was much-needed for me and john and we couldn't have spent our time and money in a better place!



tuesday morning came and i was ready to see my little boy. so we hopped another plane and headed back. it was so good to see him and hold him. all i wanted to do was snuggle with him for a month and stare at his sweet smile. only, there wasn't much snuggle time like i had anticipated. wednesday morning woke to find me sick. sick as a dog. actually, i've never understood the expression "sick as a dog", but whatever. i was sick. like an idiot, i went online to discover that i had all the symptoms of the swine flu. needless to say i spent the better part of the day freaking out that i was infected, everyone i had encountered was infected, what was i going to do, poor little sully and all the babies in his daycare - ahhhhhhhh. but the doctor did a nose-swab and said all of my hysteria was for nothing because it wasn't swine flu. it wasn't even the regular flu. it was an upper respiratory infection. silly me! she gave me 2 days off of work (god bless her) and home i went. i already blogged about this so i'll stop with that.

so i worked 1 day in a span of 2 weeks - pretty awesome.

i spent this past weekend recovering from my non-swine flu and from a heartbreaking loss with the usc game and come monday, it was my birthday. still a 20-something. i wasn't feeling completely up to snuff yet, so when john asked what i wanted to do that night, i was confident in saying "stay in". he and sully surprised me with a birthday cake, lit with 20-something ( :) ) candles and a fabulous homemade spaghetti dinner. after sully dozed off, john and i rented the new kate & leo flick, revolutionary road, and vegged out. i even got a shoulder and foot rub. it was perfect. there's nothing like a birthday to make you feel loved. dozens of excited people calling to serenade you and cards expressing their love. it's the besssssssst!

now things are winding down a bit and i'm looking forward to a weekend with nothing planned besides a possible trip to the mall. it's supposed to be a rainy one this weekend and there's nothing like staying in, in your jammies and all-day movie marathons on those dark messy days. and snuggling with a little sweet pea.

No comments: