6.04.2009

time marches on

Cari D, my bff since Mrs. Cauthen's 10th grade history class, remininded me yesterday that today, June 4th, marks 10 years since we walked the stage at our high school graduation. I can hardly believe it. In the past day I have been flooded with memories of cafeteria gossip, hanging out in the parking lot before the morning bell, painting the rock, and our most important high school objective - figuring out how to make the cute boys notice us. I have to be honest Soulshine, it's made me a little nostalgic. I've also been completely wrapped up in the typical questions "where am I going" & "where have I been". I mean did I honestly believe that after 10 years I would be highly successful with tons of money in my bank account and a Lexus in the driveway? Okay, so maybe I did but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet (I don't even have a driveway to park a Lexus in). So, feeling a little inadequate, I decided to make a list of my accomplishments since that fateful day to see exactly how far i've come. Here goes (not in chronological order), I:

● became a mommy on the day that Sully was born - January 30th, 2009 (the goal I hoped to achieve above all others)

● am engaged to marry a wonderful man in the Spring of 2010 (we did things the untraditional way)

● uprooted from the home I had known my whole life and ventured to Charleston, SC, making it my new home

● graduated from Charleston Southern University with an emphasis in Communications

● took a job as the Office Manager of HMY Yacht Sales and have been successfully employed with them for 3 years now

● became an aunt

● purchased my very own car in 2007 (I marked that as "the day I became a real woman")

● have successfully trained & raised my dog, a Boxer named Tucker, going on 7 years now

● learned how to strum the guitar

● am a Notary Public

● got to talk on the radio and work in the sound booth as the Intern for 95SX (a local Top 40's radio station)

● raised over $20,000 that went towards the building fund for the College of Charleston library

● volunteered in the Children's Hospital at MUSC

● traveled to Jamaica, NYC, Mexico, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, DC, & Chicago (I consider travels an accomplishment)

● learned that you can't take the ones you love for granted when one of my dear friends was killed in a bicycling accident

● learned how to cook like my mama - not to toot my own horn but I think i'm pretty darn good


I'm sure I could add some other accomplishments to this list if I gave enough thought, but I think this is enough to suffice for now. I guess all that's left to do is figure out my goal for the next 10 years. Hopefully this time I can make it a little more realistic - although owning a mansion on the beach is looking pretty good right about now. :)

1 comment:

CC said...

:) yay for this list! and yes, you are SUCH a good cook-- just one of the millions of things that make you AWESOME!