8.16.2010

two good moments today

  • School started back in Summerville today.  I was stopped in traffic in front of our neighborhood elementary school watching all of the adorable and eager kids walking across the parking lot towards their first day.  I spotted a dad, in his army fatigues, carrying a baby in one arm and a video camera in the other.  He was video taping his daughter, i'm assuming a first grader, in her cute little dress and blonde hair walking into her first day of school.  It was such a precious moment and true representation of parenthood - especially for this moment our country's history.  I had to wonder if dad had recently returned from overseas or maybe he was about to leave.  You never know.  And regardless, I had to choke back the tears. 

  • On my lunch break, I was driving through the College of Charleston campus and saw a young boy and girl (18/19ish).  They were standing behind a car, maybe coming or maybe going, but she dropped her bag and leaped into his arms.  He scooped her off the ground and they must have hugged like that for a good thirty seconds. Normally, I would have had thoughts like "gag me".  But for some reason today I embraced witnessing that sweet moment between two young people in love.  It made me a little jealous that John and I don't hug like that anymore.  Jealous enough that I might just try it tonight! 

No comments: