7.27.2009

'naners about my baby

This weekend, I made the ultimate mommy sacrifice...

and it involved the big b word. BANANA!

As most of you know, I have a dis-taste for bananas. I'm not even sure if distaste is the appropriate word; it's more like a strong loathing. I cringe when I pass them in the grocery store. I can sniff a peel out of the trash can from amazing distances. I don't like yellow cars because they remind me of bananas and I couldn't sing that stupid Gwen Stefani song "it's bananas b-a-n-a-n-a-s" without getting queasy. Ugh! I'm feeling nauseous just typing this blog.

So i've become a nut about making Sully's baby food. I like the idea of knowing that he is nourished by fresh produce, straight from the local stand to my food processor and into his growing belly. As much as I don't like them, I know that bananas are important for a little fellow, so on Saturday I headed to the store and cautiously entered "that aisle", the one i've never gone on before, and selected a nice bunch of organic bananas. It's wierd putting something into your cart that you have so adamantly detested your entire life. At any rate, there we are, me and my arch nemesis strolling the aisles of the grocery store together.

I got home with the 'nanas, popped Sully up on the counter to witness my selfless act of love, pulled them out of their plastic bag and proceeded. I started peeling the bananas and thought "this isn't too bad". I rather enjoyed the way it felt to pull the peel off, like a stress reliever. And the smell was minimal. I sliced them in pieces, tossed the rounds into the processor and thought how proud I was of myself. Food processor ready and turned on - I'M DOING IT!That wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I was just before patting myself on the back (yes! I do that) when the fumes began to seep out into my nostrils. I took the lid off of the processor. Mixed between the blades was the mushiest dull yellow glob of mess - similar in appearance to something I won't mention. My stomach rolled and I threw up in my mouth a little. It took me 10 minutes to fill the freezer trays with the processed contents. Pour one - gag in the living room. Pour one - gag in the living room. You get the picture. It took an additional 20 minutes before my stomach felt right again.

Needless to say, Sully didn't eat bananas on Saturday. He got avocado and apples instead. We'll save the frozen cubes of banana for another day. Sully, if you're older and reading this, let it serve as a reminder of just how much mommy loves you because you are the ONLY person I will ever do that for. xoxo!

No comments: